Summer Roller Ski Training
The Summer 2023 Roller Ski Training Program is complete. We'll see you in the late fall for the 2023/2024 season start!
Heads up... Each roller ski training program participant (a) needs to register through ISD 196 Community Education and (b) have roller skis and associated equipment identified in "Equipment needs" below.
Roller ski rental
Roller skis can be rented through the Booster Club for $50 and picked up from Coach Abery.
So how does this work?
Step 1: Sign-up and payment
Cost is $50 to rent roller skis. Complete the form below
Step 2: Pick up roller skis
Contact Coach Abery at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612.327.3678 to (a) complete paperwork/forms (ISD 196 Waiver and Rental Agreement) and (b) pick up the roller skis at his home, 11380 Albavar Path in Inver Grove Heights.
Coach Abery will be out of town Sunday, June 4th - Wednesday, June 7th. Therefore, if you desire to pick up roller skis, please connect with him for a pick-up this Saturday, June 3rd or set up a time to complete paperwork and pick up skis next Thursday, June 8th or Friday, June 9th in the evenings or on Saturday, June 10th.
About this program
Does YOUR skier want to train this summer with their Nordic teammates?
Sign-ups for our summer program are available through ISD 196 Community Education beginning today. Please sign up as soon as possible.
Schedule and costs
This year, the program will run from June 11th through July 31st with a break over the July 4th week (July 1st - 7th), which is a Minnesota State High School League no-contact period.
Coaches and skiers will meet 2 to 3 days per week on Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday mornings from 7:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. The meeting place where we will begin workouts is currently set up for the Falcon Ridge Middle School parking lot, although Coach Ellen may adjust that on some days.
This year, we are providing two options for participation with the following costs:
- 2 days per week @ $250
- 3 days per week @ $275
These costs cover coach’s salaries, insurance, and registration through community education.
Workouts will all be of the roller ski variety and include agility, technique, and conditioning components as well as some interval training. Sunday morning workouts will typically be of an over-distance nature with a focus on long, slow distance to improve general aerobic conditioning. Skiers can choose any of the three days to participate and if taking in other sports (e.g., cross-country, mountain biking, soccer) are encouraged (but not required) to take part in those summer programs on alternate days to improve general aerobic conditioning.
Please note that an athlete does not need to have previous roller ski experience to take part in the program.
There will be a group for new roller skiers.
Coaches for this year’s program will include the following:
- Ellen McCarthy – Head Coach
- Olivia Matsoff – Assistant Coach
- Apollo Oase – Assistant Coach
- Scott Lyons – Assistant Coach (volunteer)
- Brian Abery (when his schedule permits) – Assistant Coach (volunteer)
Participants in the program will need the following equipment:
- Roller skis (these can be rented for the summer/fall from the Booster Club through Coach Abery for $50) and ski boots (the same ones you used on snow)
- Skate ski poles (the longer ones) that have their baskets removed and roller ski tips >> installed on them (we can help you out with this).
- A well-fitting bicycle helmet (these are required per district policy)
- Water bottle carrier/bottle and/or belt for hydration
- Optional equipment/supplies include: a light pair of roller ski/work gloves, sunglasses, and sunblock/lotion
Note: Coach Abery will send out additional information about roller ski rental.
We hope to have a sufficient number of interested skiers to offer a 3-day per week program with some of our coaches and former skiers. The program will be roller ski focused and concentrate one day per week on technique, a second day on strength training on roller skis, and a third day devoted to a long, easy distance ski.
The program will take place over 8 weeks between June 12th and August 4th with no program activities during the week of July 4th. We will attempt to schedule most sessions in the early morning to avoid the summer heat. The cost per skier will be determined once we know the number of athletes who are interested in the program. Efforts will be made to keep the costs associated with the program reasonable for skiers and families.
The program is intended to:
- Provide an introduction to summer training for new skiers looking to improve their technique and condition
- Offer an opportunity for Junior Varsity skiers to develop the skills and conditioning needed to qualify for the Varsity team next year (2023/2024)
- Support our current Varsity skiers, including those taking part in other summer training programs, to further develop their skills with a focus on enhancing those aspects of skiing that have in the past limited their ability to achieve their personal skiing goals
Equipment needs of skiers will include:
- Roller skis (available through the ISD 196 Nordic Ski Booster Club rental program for $50)
- Bicycle helmet
- Skate-length ski poles with roller ski tips (Skiers can use the poles they used last season and put roller ski tips on them. Roller ski tips cost $15.)
- Water (Camelbak, water bottle holder, etc.)
ISD 196 Nordic Ski Booster Club | email: email@example.com
Head Coach: Brian Abery | email: firstname.lastname@example.org